Who To See?

GP or Physio? How to decide who to see first.
The world of medicine can be very confusing for patients. As all healthcare professionals are trained differently, it can be difficult to know who to consult initially for a condition. It is very important to be able to verify that somebody is qualified to treat you.


A physiotherapist is qualified to treat all musculoskeletal injuries. They will be able to diagnose your problem and provide you with treatment, exercises, and advice. The physiotherapist may refer you to a doctor if you need further investigations such as x-rays.


You may see a doctor first, if you attend hospital, or if you go directly to your GP with your injury. A doctor may do tests and refer you to a physiotherapist for treatment to get things working properly again.